GenBeauty can be pretty overwhelming, especially if you’ve never been there. Scrap that, I’ve been to GenBeauty three times and I’m still pretty overwhelmed. There just isn’t enough time to do everything! But with some planning and some tips from yours truly I promise you will have an amazing and productive (can you say free makeup 5 times fast?) time at GenBeauty.
I know what your thinking. “Who is this girl to give advice?” Excellent question! First off, I’ve been to GenBeauty three times total, two times in LA and once in NYC. And I can definately say it has improved over time. I also come from a convention background. I spent 5 years volunteering for and anime convention, including 2.5 years on the board of directors. I’ve also been to over 30 Comic Cons and Anime Cons including San Diego Comic Con and Anime Expo (which are two of the biggest cons in the US). So let’s just say I have this whole event attending thing down pat at this point.
1. Wear Comfortable Shoes! – I don’t know how the girls who wear cute heels to GenBeauty do it! Actually, I do. They take lots of breaks to rest their feet. Meanwhile I, in my comfortable (and cute) flats, am able to stay on my feet all day with a minimum of breaks. Guess who ends up spending more time meeting new people and getting free beauty products?
2. Stay Hydrated! – I feel like this one is more of the PSA then anything else. GenBeauty will be exciting. You wont want to take time out of drink water and you certainly wont want to take time out to visit the bathroom. I don’t care, stay hydrated anyway. I’m sure you’d much rather spend a grand total of 20 minutes using the facilities then having to leave early because you’re dehydrated. This one is especially important in LA since it’s so warm all year round.
3. Line-con! – In the Anime/Comic Con world we call any event where you spend a ton of time in lines line-con. It can be annoying to stand in line for 30 minutes, but it’s so cool to get a free full size foundation at the end or meet that YouTuber you’ve been watching for years. Just make sure to come prepared. Talking to friends will only get you so far, especially towards the end of the day or if you decide to see different booths. I always make sure my phone is loaded up with audiobooks and games (let’s be honest, those are already on there). I also spend my time in lines editing and posting all the cute selfies I just took!
4. Line Up Early! – Speaking of lines, you’ll have plenty of practice embracing them because the biggest and baddest line is the first one of the morning. My first year I didn’t bother lining up to get in (I never bothered at Anime and Comic Cons). Boy was that a mistake. By the time I got there all of the lines for brands were already decently long and I ended up spending 3 hours in a line to get a Bare Minerals Bare Skin foundation and brush. In hindsight I justify it because I ended up with $60 of free product for 3 hours of time which comes to $20 an hour. The next year I wised up and got there early so I wouldn’t have to wait in such a ridiculous line again.
5. Don’t Be Afraid to Say “Hi” to Random People – This one goes for both at GenBeauty and beforehand. I met the girl I’m rooming with, MissLeigh (Dakota0204), online before GenBeauty LA 2015 and we’ve been friends ever since. My first GenBeauty I met Melody (MakeupByMelody) and we’ve stayed in contact too, even did a collab last year! In the line to get into Sunday at GenBeauty NYC 2015 I met Kristina (GlitterToGaming) and some other awesome girls who introduced me to the Beauty Gurus ❤ Facebook group. And those are just a couple of examples. I have so many awesome friendships, just by reaching out and being friendly.
6. Makeup Will Be EVERYWHERE! – I would hope so, since GenBeauty is a makeup and beauty event. But I didn’t realize my first year how many brand booths would be doing makeup touch-ups. I even ran into a couple booths (like Sephora Collections at GenBeauty LA 2015) which required you to have them put makeup on you before you could get the item they were giving away. Suffice to say that I usually start out with a full face of makeup and leave with about 5 more layers on top of that. But I love it so it’s all good! I met a girl last year, however, who goes to GenBeauty without any makeup on since she knows she’ll leave with a full face anyway. No matter what your game plan, you’ll have to fight hard to leave without a ton of makeup on.
7. Bring a Power Bank…or at least a phone charger – What’s worst then being that person stuck next to an outlet while their phone charges? The person whose phone died, of course! A lot of booths require you to post something to social media to get the free product their giving away, plus there are all the extra selfies and tweets about what’s going on, responding the comments and liking everyone else’s photos and posts. And then there is whatever other stuff you do on your phone all day. Just bring a power bank. I don’t care of you have to go out to buy one. You’ll be glad you did, seriously.
And those are my tips for making the more out of attending GenBeauty! Leave your best GenBeauty tips in the comments.
Stay tuned, I have two more GenBeauty blog posts planned including best brand booths for free products and tips for content creators and anyone going to GenBeaty to network.